Mrs. Biershenk Wins December’s Teacher of the Month

Rania Jones

In early December, students voted for their favorite teacher, and Mrs.Biershenk, a world history teacher, was the most favored,

“It is a wonderful feeling! I love teaching,” Biershenk expressed about winning the nomination. “I love interacting with students! My best teaching days are when I see students have an ‘Aha’ moment.

Mrs. Biershenk grew up in Pittsburgh. She went to Pittsburg State University for her undergraduate degree in accounting. A few years later, she got her teaching degree from the University of Pittsburgh. She moved to Thailand with her sister and taught English there for a year. Mrs. Biershenk is married and she has two little boys. “They keep me very busy!” she exclaimed.

Mrs. Biershenk has taught for 13 years. One year in Thailand, three years Washington D.C, and nine years at Mt.Vernon. Mrs. Biershenk started teaching because her parents were teachers. She had been an accountant for 2 years; however, she wanted to have a job that she would actually enjoy.

“I teach history because I love stories!” she confessed.

She sets the bar high when it comes to meeting to her personal expectations in the classroom.  “I expect my students to always try their best and constantly look for where they can improve. I offer my support before and after school.”

Mrs.Biershenk believes that she is more of an understanding teacher.

“I want my students to be successful and I think that I can reach them easier if they find me understanding.”

Mrs.Biershenk is a teacher who is devoted to her school, according to her students. Though she may sometimes be strict, she does it out of her yearn to help her students to be successful in the future.

If you would like to vote for who your favorite teacher is for the month of February, please send in your requests through your major time teacher by the 14th, so the journalism staff can count your vote. Every vote matters! Let your teachers know how much you appreciate them! Go Majors!

1 Comment

One Response to “Mrs. Biershenk Wins December’s Teacher of the Month”

1. Jerry Daly on February 18th, 2017 10:47 pm

Well better late than never, but I had no idea of your award. What wonderful words about a very special person.