No, Kellyanne. That’s not what feminism is.

Noorjahan Sheikh, Editor

Have you ever heard the term “feminazi”?

What about the phrase “feminism gives cancer”?

How could anyone who really knows what feminism means say that? Well, that’s the thing: they don’t.

A term like feminism should have a positive meaning but has can gotten mutilated and often is used with a negative connotation, especially by those interested in spreading hate and fear.

With so many events recently happening, such as the election of Donald Trump and the Women’s March, the term feminism has been thrown around a lot; however, do people really know what feminism means?

Feminism is simply an ideology that states women should have the same rights and treatment as their male counterparts, such as equal pay for equal jobs.

By no means does it mean that feminists are anti-men or that they are automatically “pro-abortion,” as described by Kellyanne Conway at CPAC this weekend. Conway also strongly opposed the Women’s March. At the National Harbor, just outside of Washington, D.C, during the convention, Conway stated that even though the aim was to empower each other, women who opposed Trump and her “just have a problem with women in power.”

When some people hear the word feminism, they think that women are trying to somehow take power away from the men and ‘take over.’ This is not true. Women just want to have equal opportunities in all arenas, which they deserve. For example, in jobs, gender should not be of consideration. Women want the quality of what an individual brings to the position to be the main focus of employers when hiring.

Feminism does not mean women want to kick men out of the workplace.

Pro-choice does not mean pro-abortion.

Pro-choice means that women want to have options. Women would like to have the chance to speak with their doctor and make informed choices, whether that is to keep a child or not. For some, it is a matter of health, such as when a woman’s life is on the line.

There are many women out there who find it very unsettling to have others, often a bunch of white, old men in congress or other political positions, decide what women can and cannot do with their own bodies.

If we live in the land of freedom of expression and freedom of religion, why are the views of those in government able to control and limit the lives of others who may view life differently?

Some people went to the Women’s March just to support women. Not all women who were at the march were pro-choice. One supporter and student at Mount Vernon said, “I support everything that the Women’s March was about. I am pro-life if someone wants to get an abortion for no reason. If it is for a health reason, I’m not really sure. It depends – but I am pro life. I supported the Women’s March because we are often told to hide our bodies and be ashamed of each other. I did not like that. Women should be proud of their bodies and not have to conceal themselves for the liking of men.”  

Not all of the people who went to the Women’s March were women. It is often said that feminists are hateful and judgmental, yet all of the hate often gets thrown at feminists.

Whether anyone would like to admit it or not, Kellyanne Conway is a woman with a lot of power.  It is debatable on whether she deserves that power or not; however, that is a totally different story. Conway’s voice is important and influential. No one is doubting that she did not work hard to get to where she is.

Remember when people said that Hillary Clinton constantly used the “woman card” in her presidential campaign? Hillary Clinton did love to empower women, but she never said “vote for me because I am a woman.”

The Republican party always called Clinton out on the so-called woman card, but Conway is the one who always criticizes people for disliking her because she is a woman. Whenever Conway is criticized, she automatically refers to her gender. She never refers to the fact that she has no experience with Pell grants, the FAFSA, or student loans for college.

It’s a shame that it is 2017 and people still wonder what a word means. It’s very easy to ask siri or simply google it, but people still make assumptions and let ignorance dictate their lives.
*Quotes and references are taken from Conway’s appearance on CPAC (At National Harbor the past weekend).

1 Comment

One Response to “No, Kellyanne. That’s not what feminism is.”

1. Adriana Hernandez on October 18th, 2017 6:59 pm

I really enjoyed reading this, I agree that women/girls should not have to conserve themselves “for the liking of men.” In schools and all over, people think it is okay to touch girls because they were “inviting” by what they wear. Unless a girl, or even a guy, gives you permission, do no touch them especially their certain body parts. It boils my blood to hear people say things like, “oh, you’re pretty good, for a girl.” or, “Are you sure you can do that? Do you need help? A girl shouldn’t be doing that.” I understand some people are just trying to be helpful or nice, but don’t put a girl down by using her sex as an excuse. Having men deciding what a women should do with her body, or anyone for that matter, disgusts me. I may not be a hardcore feminist like most girls, but I definitely believe no one should be treated or judged a certain way for their sex.