Deportation: ripping families apart day by day

Guadalupe Garcia in Immigration van

Guadalupe Garcia in Immigration van

Katerin Lopez, Staff Editor

No child should fear the possibility that his or her parents might not come home.

Unfortunately, this fear has become a reality for children of undocumented immigrants in the US. With ICE raids happening nationwide, it’s pretty self explanatory why this fear is common in latinx households.

My mother was born in El Salvador and she did migrate here illegally, but that does not make my mother a bad person. She just wanted a better future and an opportunity just like many other immigrants. I shouldn’t be fearing a life without my mother just because my President thinks she’s a criminal.

On February 8, 2017, right across the street from my home, six latino men were arrested by ICE. One named Oscar Ramirez was released because he has a green card. When my mom found out the news, she couldn’t help but start to worry a little, mainly for my step dad. She has a work permit that allows her to stay and work here. My stepdad has something similar, but it’s not a guaranteed stay so if he were to get arrested, he wouldn’t be able to fight his case and most likely would be sent back. My mom, on the other hand, would be allowed to stay here and fight her case to not be deported.

These past couple of weeks, we have been trying really hard to do everything to get my step-dad and mom their residency so they can breathe a little. Situations like these are when we really have to act fast because whenever they leave the house, they put themselves at risk of being stopped. My step-dad hasn’t left the house these past two weeks except to go to work, and he gets picked up.

When I was twelve years old, one of my closest uncles got deported. At the time, he had been living with us for a while, so I was spending everyday with him. He spent a weekend at his girlfriend’s house, and the next morning we received a call from her saying he never came home.  She had no idea where he was.

My mom, feeling desperate, started calling people because she knew he would never disappear without contacting them first. After hours and stressful phone calls, we received the news that he had been arrested. Turns out he was driving under the influence of a “certain substance.”

He was in prison for a few months from what I can remember. I went to visit him and I couldn’t help crying. Seeing the happiest and most full of life person I knew look so pale and scrawny really broke my heart. He looked lifeless.

I wanted him out of there so badly. Two weeks after his release, immigration went to his house and detained him. He was deported. I was distraught and I couldn’t stop crying when I found out because in my eyes he wasn’t a bad person. He was the kindest, most intelligent, and caring person I knew. He was simply ripped from his family for making a single mistake.

I wasn’t the only child going through this. My friend’s dad was taken by immigration right in front of her. Officers threw him to the ground and detained him. She was twelve at the time, too. She told me all she could do was cry as they took her father away from her, and she knew that she’d probably never see him again.

Parents shouldn’t be taken away from their children. No twelve year-old child should witness their father being taken from them. He was also the main source of income in her house, and that caused fear within her family.

The other day I was on twitter and I read that Guadalupe Garcia was being deported for a crime she committed almost ten years ago. People protested her deportation because  she was leaving her children, and after watching the video of her in the immigration van and her children crying, my heart broke.

Imagine going from living with your mother and seeing her everyday, to being thousands and thousands of miles away from her without knowing when you’ll see her again.

A child needs his or her parents. Humans need their family. In no case should a child have to live life without his or her parents.
My uncle should have never been taken from me. My friend’s dad should have never been taken from her. Guadalupe Garcia’s family should not have to live a life without their mother, and Oscar Ramirez should never have been stopped by immigration. Those six men shouldn’t have been deported. My parents shouldn’t have to be nervous every time they go out. Most certainly people in the United States shouldn’t have to fear deportation.