Trump’s Health Care Plan: Boom or Bust?

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks during a joint news conference with Jordan's King Abdullah (not pictured) in the Rose Garden after their meeting at the White House in Washington, U.S., April 5, 2017. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas

REUTERS

REUTERS

In the midst of ridiculous wiretapping claims and extensive investigations regarding Russia’s influence in the infamous Election of 2016, Donald Trump has yet again managed to prove to regretful Americans that he is indeed highly unqualified to be President of the United States.

Throughout his campaign trail and the first three months of his presidency, Trump repeatedly claimed to repeal Obamacare and replace it with a new and improved health care plan that would surely trump (pun intended) the Affordable Care Act.

On March 23rd, results from the votes on the bill revealed that 56% of voters voted against the GOP plan that would leave approximately 24 million Americans without healthcare by 2026, whereas 17% voted in favor of it; 26% of voters were undecided.

And of course, President Trump was quick to place the blame on everyone but himself.

“Democrats are smiling in DC that the Freedom Caucus, with the help of Club for Growth and Heritage, have saved Planned Parenthood & O[bama]care,” Trump wrote three days after the bill failed.

Any rational person would have owned up to the failure and encouraged the necessary change needed to help the bill get passed, but we often forget just how irrational Trump truly is. White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer tried to compare Trump’s decision of neglecting the House’s proposal to walking away from a “bad deal.”

“The president also recognizes that when there’s not a deal to be made, when to walk away,” Spicer elaborated to reporters during a Monday briefing.  “It’s not just about making deals. It’s knowing when to walk away from deals and knowing [that] when there’s a bad deal, that’s the only solution.”

What Trump needs to understand is that our country is not one of his casinos that he can file for bankruptcy when the going gets tough. If he was truly concerned about the future of insurance for Americans, he would immediately begin to start reforming the bill to ensure its success.

The new plan would drop services such as maternity and newborn care, prescription drugs, and mental health and addiction, which contradicts with his views during his campaign trail on ending the opium epidemic. Kraig Moss, also known as “Trump Troubadour”, attended forty-five Trump rallies, belting out songs telling of his late son, Rob, who died of a heroin overdose. Trump took the initiative of reaching out to the grieving father, stating that he would honor Rob by putting an end to the deadly epidemic. When Moss first found out about the elimination of services regarding treatment of addiction, he was devastated. “This bill is just the absolute opposite,” Moss told The Washington Post. “I felt betrayed. I felt let down.”
Trump’s broken promises on fundamentals such as health care is only the beginning to a future of pulling Americans from a future of health, happiness, and most of all, hope.