A Major Throwback: High School Musical (The Play)

Janelis Velázquez Sánchez, Staff Editor

The play version of High School Musical, hosted by the Mount Vernon Theatre class, took place from May 4 through May 6. The show was a success with the inclusion of many students and even teachers! Ms. Mahoney, an art and photography teacher, took on the role of  Ms. Darbus, the flamboyant drama teacher, while Coach Lou Golden played Coach Bolton.

This play was very much anticipated by many at school, since it is an adaptation of the Disney Channel original movie, High School Musical. In addition, the movie was also present in the childhood of many students.

The show times of the play were divided based on the day of the presentation and the cast performing. There were two different casts, one being the East High cast, and the other being the Wild Cat cast.

After attending the East High cast performance on May 4 at 7:00pm, there was no doubt of how much talent Mount Vernon possesses.

The East High cast had Laura Schmechel as Gabrielle Montez, Samuel Zarek, playing the role of Troy Bolton, Madison Pickel as Sharpay Evans, and Mauro Gomez, who was Ryan Evans. These four members were the starring characters just like in the Disney movie.

Outside of the theater room was a concession stand and a variety of games. The concession stand had candy, drinks, and other snacks.The games were very popular, and most kids seemed to enjoy them. One of the games consisted of a roulette wheel that would spin until stopping at what the player would win. Later, a prize was granted. All proceeds received at the concession stand and game stations went to the theatre department.

The play closely followed the events that occurred in the first High School Musical movie with a few exceptions. The audience, including parents would often laugh at the appropriate times. It was amazing seeing how one past memory can unite many. It was also great to see the amount of people that showed up. It was crucial for parents and friends to come in order for the play to succeed, since they are the best supporters the cast members could ever get

“I loved working with the students in the musical,” said Ms. Mahoney. “It was interesting to be in flipped role, so to speak, because they were experts and I was the one that was learning.”

She also mentioned that she was having a bit of difficulty with her role and that some students had no problem when it came to helping her out. She said that, “[t]he students were so supportive and kept giving [her] tons of advice.”

Later on, after talking about Ms. Mahoney’s experience throughout the preparation of the play, she explained the importance of having opportunities, like this play, for the students to participate in. “The plays and musicals are wonderful opportunities for students to showcase their talents,” explained Ms. Mahoney. Later she added that, “[b]y showcasing their talents, students are able to improve their skills and build confidence.”

At the end of the show, the cast members were congratulated by their family members and friends. They were also granted gifts and the joy was just overwhelming. It’s events like these that remind people that hard work does give an incredible result!

1 Comment

One Response to “A Major Throwback: High School Musical (The Play)”

1. Erica Bartell on June 9th, 2017 8:39 am

I LOVE this article! I also wanted to suggest that next year you guys should post Cappies reviews written by students of the MVHS Cappies team, or reviews from students of other schools for our Cappies show. The Cappies is a critics and awards program for high school students, in which Cappies critics write reviews of productions they see at other schools, and have the chance of getting them published. And in June, schools and students who are nominated for a Cappie go to the awards gala at the Kennedy center. That was a brief description, but I’d be glad to explain it further. I hope you guys consider my suggestion.

• 2016-2017 Archive

The Effectiveness of Online Classes

• A Major Throwback: High School Musical (The Play)

2016-2017 Archive

The Legacy of Audrey Jones

2016-2017 Archive

A Letter to the Class of 2018

• 2016-2017 Archive

College of Charleston

• 2016-2017 Archive

Fly With Me to Prom!

2016-2017 Archive

Darrien Newton Takes the Win for Tayla Johnson

• 2016-2017 Archive

A Night to Never forget: Dana Le

2016-2017 Archive

A Sweet Promposal Dream: Alyse Hall

2016-2017 Archive

A Promposal to Remember: Aaaron Moorer to Mya Mombrun

2016-2017 Archive

The Legendary Promposal: Logan Brewer to Noelle Stratton