A Letter to the Class of 2018

(A Bucket List)

Emily Merriam, Staff Writer

As the school year winds down, a lot of us are focusing on finals, SOL’s, and end of the year projects. Some of us are preparing to say goodbye to our best friends, and having to stand back as they move towards the next step of their life. Some of us are preparing to be in their exact spot next year. While some of us are either ecstatic to get out of here and into the real world, others are terrified of what the future holds after high school.

College? Student loans? Senior dues? It’s stressful and too much to think about. Do you remember your first day of freshman year? How about what your parents said to you? Did it sound something like “It goes by fast, enjoy it while you can?”

They weren’t kidding. It seems like yesterday that we were all indulging in our first friday night football games and now it’s just part of our normal routine, with some of the novelty having worn off.

It is so easy to get into the rut of anxiety, and some of us worry away our high school careers thinking about IB exams, that one teacher who will not budge our grade even the slightest, part time jobs, applications on top of applications, sports, clubs, and so much more.

I compiled a list of things you should do your senior year of high school to make sure it is something you look back on and smile, thinking about the times you let loose with you friends:, the stories you will tell your kids about.

While it is important to maintain good grades, and to think about the future, it is as equally important to LIVE while you’re young, and enjoy the moments before you.

Without further ado,

1. Go to every school dance you get an opportunity to. Go by yourself, go with friends, but don’t put so much emphasis on a date. Prom isn’t like the movies, but it is a memorable and fun night!
  2. Take a road trip with friends! Spring break is a great opportunity to get away from home and make memories with your best buds.
  3. Go to a party at least once. Put yourself out there and make new friends while battling your comfort zone!
  4. Do something drastic! Cut your hair, dye it a crazy color, get a piercing or a tattoo! As long as you’re being safe, there is no issue.
  5. Take a road trip by yourself. While it is a little lonely, it’s nice to do it at least once and have some time to think.
  6. Learn something new that interests you. Whether it’s the piano, or a new language, it’s a good slot for some “me time.”
  7. Go to all the sports games you can!
  8. Put yourself in clubs, sports or activities that you wouldn’t usually do. You might find a new hobby and make a lot of friends!
  9. Start a journal. Write about experiences that happened your Senior year. You will look back a few years from now and be grateful you took note of things that seemed small in the moment but will mean a lot in the future.
  10. Volunteer! It doesn’t have to be boring. Love animals? Volunteer at a shelter! Love kids? Volunteer at a daycare or after-school program!
  11. Apply to a college you’re scared to apply to. You never know what will happen if you don’t at least try!
  12. Try a new skill! I recommend cooking because in college, you’re probably going to get tired of pizza and ramen very, very quick.
  13. Spend time with your family, especially your parents. Your mom and dad are going to miss you like crazy, and they love you more than anything, so make sure to pay them back for all their years of hard work. Take them out to lunch, a movie, or surprise them. It can even be as inexpensive as ditching a friday night party to hang out with them.
  14. And lastly, the most important, DO NOT STRESS ABOUT YOUR FUTURE OR COLLEGE! Everything will come together in due time, I promise. College isn’t the be all and end all of everything. Don’t know what you want to do? Take a year off, work, figure it out and travel. Find yourself! School isn’t for you? There’s always trade schools! The same path isn’t meant for everyone.

I dare you to print this out and do every one of these things while you’re a senior! Class of 2018 is going to kill it next year!