The Legacy of Audrey Jones

Danielle Sarpong, Staff Writer

A loving wife, mother, sister, cousin, educator, and cancer survivor  were just a few of the roles that defined Audrey Jones.

As a strong woman who invested herself in ensuring the success of students at Mount Vernon, Ms. Jones was a radiant figure whose warmth was present day in and day out. Often appearing on the morning news, she would always make sure that each student was aware of the endless opportunities that were offered.

An inspiration to many, Ms. Jones never failed to encourage students in and out of the Career Center to strive for greatness.

“I will miss her positive attitude and her extraordinary spirit. Her love was everlasting and I will never forget a beautiful soul such as hers,” senior Jordan Spence recalls.

Ms. Jones took it upon herself to motivate students who were at a loss by reminding them that they have the ability to do anything they set their minds to.

“If it wasn’t for Ms. Jones, I would have had second thoughts about college,” Tashon Seabury shares.

Apart from her devotion to her students, Ms. Jones was also a member of the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority initiated in 1995 at Cheyney University. She spent a majority of her time contributing to DST’s programs that impacted the local youth in Fredericksburg, whose motto was to “promote academic excellence and provide assistance to those in need.”

Ms. Jones’ faith played a huge role in her life, as she also served as a member of the Mount Hope Baptist Church in Fredericksburg, VA. She served as an usher, and was also a member of the Young Adult Choir and Singles Ministry.

Students and teachers who did not know Ms. Jones very well still never failed to witness the optimism she brought into the halls of Mount Vernon.

On May 26, 2017, Audrey Jones was called home after her well-fought battle with cancer. Despite her absence, it is important that we come together as one and celebrate her nurturing attitude and endless positivity.

1 Comment

One Response to “The Legacy of Audrey Jones”

1. Lynne Gober on July 24th, 2017 1:40 pm

Ms. Jones was my SORORITY Sister of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, INC. She actually was the first staff member that I met when I walked down the hall at Mount Vernon in October 2016. She had a gorgeous smile and asked me where I was going and why. She wished me much luck on my interview and that started our friendship. Once I became a member of the staff at Mt Vernon, she never hesitated to drop by my class and check on me and we just talked and shared our life story. She was my friend.. I will miss the students at Mount Vernon , but I truly miss her friendship and concern about me. May God rest her SOUL!

• 2016-2017 Archive

The Effectiveness of Online Classes

• The Legacy of Audrey Jones

2016-2017 Archive

A Letter to the Class of 2018

• 2016-2017 Archive

College of Charleston

• 2016-2017 Archive

Fly With Me to Prom!

• The Legacy of Audrey Jones

2016-2017 Archive

Darrien Newton Takes the Win for Tayla Johnson

• 2016-2017 Archive

A Night to Never forget: Dana Le

• The Legacy of Audrey Jones

2016-2017 Archive

A Sweet Promposal Dream: Alyse Hall

• The Legacy of Audrey Jones

2016-2017 Archive

A Promposal to Remember: Aaaron Moorer to Mya Mombrun

• The Legacy of Audrey Jones

2016-2017 Archive

The Legendary Promposal: Logan Brewer to Noelle Stratton

• The Legacy of Audrey Jones

2016-2017 Archive

A Major Throwback: High School Musical (The Play)

The Legacy of Audrey Jones