#DefendDACA and your undocumented friends

Katerin Lopez, Editor In Chief

Latinos have made the US a home for decades. For those decades, they have faced hardships: discrimination, racism, fear of possibility of deportation, were all things they have had to overcome.

When former President Barack Obama served his presidency he released what was called DACA  (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals), a policy to be renewed every two years,  that allowed children who came to the US to stay in the United States and be able to go to school and have the same opportunities as everyone else who was born in the US, and not have to fear deportation..

Believe it or not, this policy helped a lot. Most undocumented students have to pay out of state tuition for college, even if they’ve been living in their state almost their whole life. This caused problems in most latino households because out of state tuition can get expensive. DACA helped with that and allowed undocumented students to study at the same price as everyone else.

On September 7, 2017 it all came to a stop. Donald Trump, our current president, and his administration, rescinded DACA. Not only were over a million undocumented students affected, so were minors who have migrated here over the past couple of years and didn’t have DACA.

The Trump administration announced that if a person wasn’t yet enrolled with DACA, then there is asbsolutely no chance of applying for it. Luckily, the people who were already enrolled have a chance of renewing it for the next two years.

The more young people attending college, the better it is for the country.

We are the future. We are the next doctors, engineers, architects, lawyers, judges, presidents, governors, etc. It does not matter whether someone is undocumented or not. At the end of the day, every individual is going to school to become successful, help others, and better this country.

The latino high school dropout rate has actually dropped tremendously, and more and more latinos are going to college, although many uninformed citizens believe latinos are more likely to drop out. They have been proven wrong, and that is not an alternative fact.

Que viva nuestra raza, y nunca nos demos por vencidos! Hay que ir a la universidad para estudiar y mostrar que nosotros también podemos!