Girls Volleyball Senior NIght

Brandon Noriega, Staff Writer

The Mount Vernon Varsity Volleyball team, the Lady Majors, came out with a Major victory over Annandale High School on their senior night on October 18, 2017.

With the help of seniors, Alissa Kwarteng, Angela Ampofo, and Valentina Leon, the Lady Majors dominated the game by winning all 3 sets and losing none.

At the beginning of the first set the game was neck and neck, but after 16 serves for both sides the Lady Majors started to pull ahead and went on to dominate the second set, as well. The third set started off slowly, but the Majors gained momentum and breezed pass them. Compared to Annandale, the Lady Majors looked like professionals.

Annadale was giving away free points by not being able to stay in position or hit the ball correctly throughout the whole game. The Lady Majors looked outstanding digging out balls and setting each other up perfectly.

A lot of the Majors points came from serves. When asked about how she has critiqued her approach and block to make the most out of the small amount of contact time she has with the ball, Valentina Leon replied, “ When the ball is set to me, my approach is based on the timing of the set and how high is is. When I make contact with the ball, I want to make sure I swing my arm and flick my wrist to put the ball down and make a point.”

Those techniques really seemed to work out for her against Annandale, where she had an exceptional game.

It was a great team effort from Mount Vernon as they took down Annandale and Captain Angela Ampofo agreed: “ It all starts with the pass and I’ve known my hitters and have a close enough bond with them to exactly know where they want the ball and what will do the job.”

Ms Mahoney
Seniors Valentina Leon, Angela Ampofo, and Alissa Kwartang with family and friends