“Thor: Ragnarok” – A Hilarious Film Of Hulk-Sized Proportions

Back to Article
Back to Article

Chris Hemsworth as Thor

Chris Hemsworth as Thor

Chris Hemsworth as Thor

Chris Hemsworth as Thor

Donovan Fisher, Guest Writer

A swirl of energy excites as the weapon is unsheathed, the hero breaking from his chains, ready to do battle with the demon, all set to the tune of Led Zeppelin’s “Immigrant Song” No, this is not some 80s action movie, but it sure does feel like one. This is just the first five minutes of the high-octane adventure Thor: Ragnarok. From the opening scene, the pulpy action and heart of the film sets itself on a breakneck and energetic pulse, never letting the audience lose focus, from the eye-popping visuals to the gut-wrenching humor. The 17th film in Marvel’s long running Cinematic Universe,

Thor: Ragnarok breathes new life into the character of Thor that wasn’t seen in his previous standalone films.”

Directed by Tahiti Watiki (Flight of the Concords, Hunt for the Wilderpeople), this Marvel film is a love letter to the vintage 80’s sci-fi movies of old. The film uses a rich visual palette to make every scene look directly ripped from the comic book pages, accompanied by an electrifying synth score by Mark Mothersbaugh. The third installment of the Thor sub-franchise distances the titular character from his previous Earth-bound adventures, in favor of going into the farthest reaches of the galaxy, exploring a vast new world of characters and planets alike. Here, Thor (Chris Hemsworth) joins former ally Bruce Banner/Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) and his adopted brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston) as they fight to save his homeworld of Asgard from the Goddess of Death, Hela (Cate Blanchett).

Chris Hemsworth truly shines in the role of Thor in this film, bringing some much needed comedic chops into the Thor series. He seems to be having much more fun in the role than he previously has, which is reflected as he cracks a smile after each joke successfully lands. Characters such as The Hulk and Loki are also given moments that contain uncompromising amounts of humor, especially in their interactions and callbacks to earlier films in the MCU, shining in some hilarious and heartbreaking moments. The writing is some of the wittiest of the MCU yet, beating out films such as Guardians of the Galaxy for clever and cunning scripts, always building towards the joke but rarely compromising the raw emotions of each scene. Some additional cameos make for some riotous laughter in what was already one of the tightest comedies of the year.

Along the journey, they come across new faces for the Marvel Universe: Valkyrie (Tessa Thompson), Korg (Tahiti Watiki), and The Grandmaster (Jeff Goldblum). Each new addition to the ever-growing roster of MCU characters breaths fresh air into their roles, presenting fun and hilarious characters that audiences can not keep their eyes off of. Tessa Thompson shines in the breakout role of Valkyrie, a wise-cracking warrior who never lets up and never reveals her true intentions. Korg is hilarious, with deadpan humor that could go for miles and never fails to crack a smile on audience’s faces. Jeff Goldblum’s portrayal of The Grandmaster makes efficient use of Goldblum’s signature traits in building an awkward, albeit eccentric, man of wonder and spectacle.

However, the movie does come with its own faults. While most of the secondary cast is able to shine in the film, Ragnarok shares the same downfall of most Marvel films: weak villains. Cate Blanchett’s portrayal of Hela is captivating to watch on screen, but she’s not given enough to do to allow audiences to have any emotional investment in her actions or to care whether her character is defeated or not. Many of the other characters from previous entries in the franchise are either unceremoniously killed off or written off in unsatisfying ways that makes one wish better for these characters.

Marvel Studios’ Thor: Ragnarok is a true step up for the Thor franchise. It takes the least-popular members of The Avengers roster and pits them into the most over the top and ridiculous scenarios and spectacles that keeps fans smiling. Some minor plot inconveniences and villain problems aside, Ragnarok proves that even after 17 films, Marvel is still willing to take their characters in bold, new directions while still maintaining that MCU humor and charm.

2 Comments

2 Responses to ““Thor: Ragnarok” – A Hilarious Film Of Hulk-Sized Proportions”

1. Javier Rivas on December 1st, 2017 10:13 am

I really enjoyed how you gave you opinion on the movie but i didn’t like how you said that they always have weak villains but in order to take out Hela they needed Ragnarok to begin so Asgard can be destroyed because they wouldn’t be able to destroy her.

2. Ms. Hayes on December 5th, 2017 9:21 am

Great job!

• Arts and Entertainment

Behind Birdie: A Look at the new MVHS Theater show

• “Thor: Ragnarok” – A Hilarious Film Of Hulk-Sized Proportions

Arts and Entertainment

Red Velvet Helps Mend Ages Old Conflict

Arts and Entertainment

Acrimony: a synonym for angry black woman?

• Arts and Entertainment

Game of Thrones: Get in or Get out

• Arts and Entertainment

2018 Oscar Round Up

Arts and Entertainment

“The Secret Garden” premieres at Mount Vernon High School

Arts and Entertainment

P.T. Barnum : The Musical

• Arts and Entertainment

Megan Leavey: A Moving Portrayal of a Soldier and Her Dog

Arts and Entertainment

Winning has us Un Poco Loco

Arts and Entertainment

Stranger Things becomes less strange to Netflix viewers.