The Major in Charge

Michael Del Rosario, Staff Writer

Dr. Anthony Terrell had some big shoes to fill when he took the MVHS helm in 2015, and it appears he has filled them, and even gone up a size.

When first considering taking on this new role, Terrell stated he considered, “Whether or not I was up to the task” to fill in the shoes of former principal Ms. King. Most people in the MVHS community agree he is achieving that goal.

“I never really worked on this side of the county,” said Terrell  “So my question was, will I be able to connect with the faculty, staff, and the folks in the building to really realize my vision for Mount Vernon?”

Since taking up the role as principal for Mount Vernon, Dr. Terrell has made it his mission to ensure everyone in the Mount Vernon family has the best opportunities a school can provide.

When reflecting on whether that goal has been met, one student remarked,“Dr. Terrell has not only helped me on my problems, but he has made my high school career a lot better.”

Terrell has cheered on the MVHS  sports teams at every game and every game had its own memorable moments:.

“The most memorable moment since I’ve attended Mount Vernon is when ever we beat West Potomac, ” said Dr. Terrell.

The school loves its old fashioned rivalry between West Potomac High School, and Dr. Terrell does, too.

One of the things that Terrell has done to win the heart of students and staff  is not only caring about the core academics and sports, but also about the arts within the school.  

“I’m a big fan of the arts,” he said. “I think arts are a big part of what makes us human. It is what brings a healthy balance to life, and  reminds us of the possibilities beyond the challenges we face day to day. From my experience in working with schools, students involved in the arts tend to be better students.”

Dr. Terrell has made it to almost, if not every, event concerning the arts. Plays, concerts, and assessments are some of the events that the music and the theater department hold in the school. He has attended multiple shows and concerts within and outside of school. Thanks to his support, students feel his encouragement as they pursue their passion in arts.  

Everyday Dr. Terrell’s actions have had a positive effect on everyone in the building.

“I want the best for Mount Vernon. I see it as my job to give the students of Mount Vernon the best,” explained Terrell.

As a result of Dr. Terrell’s passion students appreciate all that’s he done for them.

Olivia Loos, a sophomore, explained all of the things that Dr. Terrell has changed for the better: “Dress code, more things for the band to do, and he’s better with small clubs and all.”

“Seniors should tell the Mount Vernon story everywhere they go. They graduated from one of the greatest schools in the Commonwealth. So they are ready to face any challenges that lies ahead.” said Dr. Terrell.

Dr. Terrell is not only the principal of Mount Vernon, he is a man of his word and a true leader of the Majors, with a passion to ensure a bright future for every Mount Vernon student.

“They should always take this with them anywhere they go. Find your passion and live it and to be of service.” said Dr. Anthony Terrell.