Women: a synonym for strong

Back to Article
Back to Article

Women: a synonym for strong

www.rainn.org

www.rainn.org

www.rainn.org

Mina Butt, staff editor

The world is a very dangerous place, especially for women. The world has always been an unsafe place for women, however, nowadays the general public is finally recognizing and bringing awareness to the numerous dangers that females face on a daily basis. While males are not immune to the many dangers in this world, women are frequently and significantly more targeted in this perilous society.

Take a look at the statistics:

According to research, American women are 16 times more likely to get shot than women in any other developed country. Women are more likely to be victims of domestic violence, with 1 in 4 being victims of severe physical violence by an intimate partner, whereas only 1 in 8 men are victims of domestic violence. Additionally, 1 out of every 5 American women have been the victim of attempted rape or completed rape, whereas only 1 in 71 men have been raped in his lifetime. Adding on to that, 90% of adult rape victims are female and 82% of juvenile victims are female. Furthermore, females are more likely to get kidnapped as well.

Out of every 1000 rapes, 994 perpetrators avoid incarceration. On average, only 310 incidents are reported to the police,with  57 leading to arrest, 11 cases referred to prosecutors, 7 cases leading to felony conviction, and only 6 rapists go to prison. Additionally, domestic violence accounts for 57% of mass shootings and 4.5 million women have been threatened and/or shot with a gun, and these are just the women who have lived.  

It’s evident that society needs to do something in order to make the world a safer place for all individuals, especially for women.  Currently, the justice system is failing to enforce regulations that protect women, along with providing an environment that makes women feel safe. Therefore, women must take initiative to protect and defend themselves.

So what can women do to protect themselves?

First, the most important thing a female can do to protect herself is to take self-defense classes. Whether one considers herself petite, curvy, strong, or weak, all women can benefit from self-defense classes. The fact of the matter is, generally speaking, a female’s body is much different than a male’s body. When women are faced with male attackers, they need to know how to take control of the situation and defend themselves.

Next, travel in groups! Women are less likely to face hostile individuals if they are with other people.

Third, maintain situational awareness! Always tell someone where you are going and be aware of your surroundings. Check the backseat of your vehicle before you get in, and never sit in your vehicle for too long of a period. Women have the tendency to sit in their vehicles to talk with their friends and/or finish tasks. Don’t do this! This allows potential hostile individuals to stalk and approach you.

Another way to defend oneself is to carry weapons. Don’t bring weapons in restricted areas, such as school, but if you are going out at night or in other unrestricted areas, protect yourself! Purchase a taser, pepper spray, and/or a small knife. Keep these items on yourself whenever you are going out and if needed, place them in your vehicle, as well.

Lastly, don’t be a bystander. As women, we have the duty of protecting and uplifting each other because unfortunately, most of the time, no one else is going to do it. If you ever witness another women in distress, try to help her, and if you can’t do this, call 911.

The world is a very threatening, precarious place, particularly for women. Society has failed to produce any beneficial regulations that adequately protect women; therefore, women must take things into their own hands. Despite what many people think, women are not weak; women are strong individuals who have the capability to protect themselves, and that’s what women need to do.