MVHS Boys Soccer off to a good start?

Brandon Noriega, Staff Writer

Something never done before: in the 2017/2018 school year Mount Vernon High School has decided to start a Boys Indoor Soccer team to prepare for the regular season that starts in May.

The team is comprised of MVHS boys who played on the regular season soccer team during the 2016/17 season. The indoor team plays at Sportsplex at Springfield against other High School teams in the area, such as Edison.

Indoor allows for there to be 5 people on the field at a time plus a goalkeeper. There are no out of bounds lines since the boundaries are the walls; if the ball hits the wall play is continued. The only time there is a “throw in” is when the ball hits the net above the players. Indoor also does not allow slide tackles or knees on the floor, or else the opposing team gets a free kick.

So far, the boys have played 4 games and with a record of 2-1. The team is in good form and has managed to cinch the last 2 wins, and are hoping for many more.

Starting lineup senior, Gerson Amaya, who has played for the Boys Varsity Soccer team since his freshman year, had some high praise for his team: “I think we have a really strong team; everyone is focused and determined to go far this season.”

He also said he’s mostly excited for the West Potomac game, especially since it is on Senior Night. Senior night is a night dedicated to the seniors on a specific team, usually the seniors on the team get acknowledged during half time for accomplishments and playing on the team. With two more indoor games in hand, Amaya is hoping they can end the pre season with a 4-1 record.

Along with the indoor games, the boys soccer team is having green days in order to prepare for the regular season.

Regular season starts soon, with the first scrimmage on March 2.

Green days for soccer usually are days where people planning on trying out for the team show up and play mini soccer games against each other. Unlike previous years, these green days are reserved for returning varsity players so they make sure they’re getting the best practice they can in order to have a good season.

Another member of the MVHS Boys Varsity Soccer team, senior Joel Duarte, gave a little run down about what they do to prepare for games. Duarte said “We mentally prepare a week before the next game by building up confidence during practice. When it comes to game day, we use the few hours before the game to bond and pray that everyone will come out of the game unharmed.”

Duarte is most excited for their game against West Potomac: “Being that they are our biggest rivals and it being my senior year, I would like to destroy them for the one time.”

Mount Vernon hasn’t won a state championship for soccer since 2013 so this pre season practice could turn out to be very beneficial and influence game results drastically.