An Evening of Art and Music: The 2018 Expressive Arts Showcase

Celeste Restuccio, Writer

On the evening of January 11, the MVHS Performing and Visual Arts department invited friends, family, and community members to enjoy a night of music and art. Students in grades 9-12 displayed original artwork in a variety of media, including pen and ink, paint, and ceramics. The student artists were on hand to discuss their work and celebrate one another’s talents and accomplishments. There were also live music performances that included student and teacher ensambles. The music was energetic and eclectic, with songs featuring bongos, synthesizers, guitars and even a ukulele. The live performances featured favorite classic rocks songs, like Paint it Black by The Rolling Stones, to the edgy Come As You Are by Nirvana and pop favorites, such as Say Something by Great Big World. The night also included a slideshow featuring brilliant pieces by the Visual Art students. Before the concert, everybody was interacting with one another, and having a great time with good beverages and snacks to share. Burtons Grill, Papa Johns, and Buffalo Wild Wings helped to support the evening by donating dinner for the event. The entire evening held a positive atmosphere and students demonstrated the passion they share for their art, making it an outstanding experience for artists, musicians, teachers, parents, and everyone in the audience.

Prior to the show, we were lucky enough to see these students in action and in preparation for the big night. The first time we walked inside the music room, we thought they might get nervous that they have people watching them, but we were wrong. They sang and played their music, performing like they were pros in front of millions of people.

Any instrumentalist or artist could see how much work these students put into the show and their daily pursuit of creating art. Teachers Mr.Kalugdan and Ms.Gimore are very supportive and clearly have a great relationship with everyone in their classes. These very talented teachers show how much they care for these students every day.  While visiting, we even got to interact and make music of our own, with the help from these amazing artists. Not only did we learn something from these very talented students, but we got to experience something bigger than ourselves: teamwork , dedication, and passion;  this is what fuels these students. We were given the opportunity to interview a few students and we asked them about what made them choose to take an art or music class, what some of their favorite things about the classes are, how they feel on stage, and when did they first get involved in the arts.

Chris Gallman, DJ and part of the sound crew for the production, said he needed a cool and fun elective to take, and that he feels he can be himself around his peers in class. One could certainly say he is confident. He started playing music this year but said he doesn’t feel shy at all when on stage.

Chris didn’t believe music would be one of his favorite things when he first started, but now says,“Ever since I started music with MVHS this year, I realized that music will be a part of my life forever.”

Sharing credit where it is deserved, Gallman shared, “My classmates showed me that I can achieve something I never thought I could do”.

Isabel Eitel, a vocalist and pianist, said, “I love music and the combination of therapy and music.”

Eitel took music class because she loves the teacher. She shared that her favorite thing about the class is how everyone is supportive of each other. She admitted that when she gets on stage, she is nervous at first, but then feels at ease after she starts doing what she loves. Eitel started playing piano at 5 years old, and  dabbles on guitar. She loves her class and says they are like a second family.

Nichole Owens, vocalist on ‘Moonlight’ explained, “My dad is a guitar teacher and I really enjoy all of the music he has done and want to follow in his footsteps.” She loves that she has the freedom to express herself. She is anxious on stage but gains confidence towards the end. Owens started playing two years ago on the ukulele and she plans on learning the guitar now, as well.  She loves that she has a supportive group and amazing friends.

Lastly, Asher Moore, a guitarist, said, “I have always been interested in music.” He loves that he can play any style of music and not be judged. He likes being in the background and making the show flourish. Moore  started guitar when he was 7 and self taught himself the drums, piano, and bass guitar. He likes that he can have close friends and a musical family.