Filed under In the News, Showcase

“We are here to stay.”

Back to Article
Back to Article

“We are here to stay.”

Spencer Platt

Spencer Platt

Spencer Platt

“No one has the power to shatter your dreams unless you give it to them,” said Maeve Greyson.

Many immigrants are breathing a sigh of relief since the Supreme Court refused to take up the Trump Administration’s request to repeal a Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco order stating that “the government must continue to process renewals of existing DACA applications while litigation over the legality of Trump’s action is resolved, prompting the administration’s unusual move to bypass a federal appeals court and take the matter directly to the Supreme Court.”

The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program provides a level of pardoning to certain undocumented immigrants, many of whom came to the U.S. as children, with a six-month delay for recipients. The New York Times reported that former President Barack Obama, who had warned that any threat to the program would prompt him to speak out, called his successor’s decision “wrong,” “self-defeating” and “cruel.”

The DACA program was formed through the executive action by forty-fourth President Barack Obama in 2012. It allowed certain people who came to the U.S. illegally as minors to be protected from immediate deportation. Recipients, referred to as Dreamers, were able to request consideration of deferred action for a period of two years where it would have to be subject for renewal.

Individuals were able to request DACA status if that individual was under the age of thirty-one on June 15, 2012 and came to the U.S. before turning 16, continuously lived in the country since June 15, 2007. Also individuals needed to have a high school diploma, GED certification, been honorably discharged from the military or still be in school. Recipients could not have any criminal records.

Under the DACA program there are currently around 800,000 undocumented youths.

In September 2017, Trump administration announced plans to phase out DACA for current recipients. President Trump and his administration have been fighting to get rid of the DACA program, asserting that it was created illegally by President Obama. the With Trump’s executive action, next month would mark the end of the Obama-era DACA program affecting young immigrants, forcing them to return to their “home” countries, despite the fact that many of them have never even set foot in those countries before and have spent their entire lives in the U.S.

The Supreme Court decided on Monday reject the appeal from Trump’s administration. The lower court judge stopped the administration from ending the Deferred Action for Childhood arrivals program, that protected 800,000 young immigrants brought to the country illegally as children from deportation. The Supreme Court decided to deny the request to take up the issue, stating that it should move through the normal appellate process

The first step of the appellate process it the losing party files a notice of appeal, then an appellant files petition for appeal. Thirdly the appelle files response to the petition. After that the parties argue the case before the judge where majority opinion announces decision. Finally, dissenting opinion expresses disagreement.

Trump’s Justice Department tried to bypass the federal appeals count in San Francisco to go directly to the Supreme Court.

A lower court has ordered Trump’s administration to continue to accept applications indefinitely.

Trump has offered to work with lawmakers on a solution for the hundreds of thousands of people in the U.S. who were protected by the DACA program. He has repeatedly blamed Democrats on social media for the lack of a solution. Trump has also released his “four pillars” of immigration reform, which included a provision for legal status for DACA recipients and others who would be eligible for DACA status. In return for this; however, he is demanding that the Chain Migration law be rescinded, as well as other legal means for immigrants to enter and remain in the U.S.

Regardless of the arguments over this issue taking place in congress and the administration, U.S. District Judge William Alsup of San Francisco ruled that the DACA program must stay while litigation surround DACA program continues.. Many argue that thousands of people could lose their jobs if the DACA program is rescinded permanently. President of the conservative immigration nonprofit Libre Initiative, Daniel Garza, argued that the government need to give a “reprieve from a life of uncertainty for innocent kids who didn’t break the law.”

The forty-five president had set March 5th as the future end date for the DACA program