Students Fatally Shot in Florida

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students Fatally Shot in Florida

Students mourning death of fellow classmates and teachers

Tatiana Calhoun Martinez, Sports Editor, Writer

On February 14th of 2018, Nikolas Cruz, a former student at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, decided to open fire on his former school. He  killed 17 people and wounded several others.

Nikolas Cruz was born on September 24, 1998.  He was expelled from Marjory Stoneman Douglas due to ‘disciplinary reasons.’  Many who knew him stated that Cruz often appeared unstable and there were several signs that he was a danger to the school and to others around him.

On Feb 5, 2016, Cruz, still attending Marjory Stoneman Douglas at the time, decided to post a picture on his instagram posing with guns and wrote that he was planning to shoot up his school. A few months later, Cruz ingested gasoline and cut himself in attempts to kill himself. He also spoke about interests in purchasing a gun for hunting. Marjory Stoneman Douglas later conducted a threat assessment.

When the school heard of this they reported the incident to the Florida Department of Children & Families (DCF). DCF ended up determining that he was receiving sufficient care from Marjory Stoneman Douglas and his outpatient care from Henderson Behavioral Health. At Henderson, they later determined that he did not need to be hospitalized anymore because he was stable enough to take care of himself.

The next year on November 1, 2017, Cruz’s mother died. Her cousin, Katherine Blaine, said that they had found rifles that belonged to Cruz and had requested for them to be taken away. Although she had requested for them to get taken away, BSO(Broward Sheriff’s Office) never looked into it.

Roxanne Deschamp took Cruz in after his mother died. A few days later on November 29th, Cruz got into a fight with her son. Deschamp had buried a gun she found that belonged to Cruz and he became angry and aggressive. Her son tried to calm Cruz down but when Cruz became violent, Deschamp punched him in self defence. Upon losing the fight, Cruz threatened to go to Dick’s to purchase a gun and come back and shoot the young man. The incident ended with neither person getting arrested.

On January 5, 2018, a caller contacted Broward Sheriff Office via the tip line, reporting concerns about Cruz being a potential shooter.

On February 14, 2018, Cruz walked into Marjory Stoneman Douglas with an AR15 and went on a killing spree.

This is not the first school shooting that has taken place in the United States. Since 2013 there have been 291 school shootings in the US,. There have already been 18 school shooting in this year alone.

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School had been ranked as the 15th safest school in the United States. Although it was one of the safest schools,the students were not surprised that this took place;  Cruz was known at school for being odd and many students saw him as a threat. The school shooting that took place at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School was ranked as the third deadliest school shooting since 1999.

Many of the victims were students and some were teachers. One of the victims was named Alyssa Alhadeff, who was 14. She was a student who attended Marjory Stoneman Douglas and played for the Parkland Travel Soccer team. She was known as a respectable, talented, and beautiful girl.

Scott Beigel, a geography teacher at Marjory Stoneman Douglas, was shot and killed when he ushered his students back into his classroom when the shooting began.

Aaron Feis, an assistant football coach at the high school, was killed when he threw himself in front of a student trying to protect them from an oncoming bullet.

Nicholas Dworet, a student at the high school, was a senior and had been accepted to the University of Indianapolis,recruited for the University’s swim team.

There were several other students and teachers who were shot on Valentine’s day by Cruz.

This shooting has triggered many Americans, across the nation, to start protesting; calling for the government to create better and more strict policies regarding gun control. Shortly after the shooting, many students decided to protest by walking out of class and marching in various cities.Students all around the United States have drawn tons of attention to the topic of gun control and the need for new legislation, and have gotten the attention of many in the government, from senators and congress members to the President, himself.

The shooting of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School was a tragic event and has caused many in the country to question if it is time to do more than pray and send thoughts to victims’ families; it is a time to take action and force change in order to protect the nations’ schools.