Game of Thrones: Get in or Get out

Joshua VonFahnestock, Guest Reviewer

The HBO series, Game of Thrones, adds the suspense and twists of a fantasy world that combines the drama of politics, the pure action of war, and the mystical creatures of dragons and ice zombies, creating a lure of excitement. The made for tv show, based on the book series written by G.R.R. Martin, has grown to be one of the number one watched television shows worldwide.  The series creators, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, produce a Golden Globe award winning show with a star studded cast, which is definitely binge worthy.

From fan favorites to fan hated villains, Game of Thrones does not lack an exciting cast. The development of characters such as the hated and ruthless Child-King Joffrey (Jack Gleeson) or the fan favorite, bastard Jon Snow (Kit Harrington), are just two of the countless character stories that are developed throughout the series. Character development is what makes the show binge worthy and the countless amount of plot twists the writers implement to make the show as good as is for the viewers. The drama between the four major families (Starks, Lanisters, Baratheons, and Targaryen) is the drive of this major series allowing for the addiction to kick in to keep on watching the entertaining series.

Throughout the medieval fantasy drama, Game of Thrones gains its glory in its fearless nature by supplying the unexpected. The amount of plot twists within this series is what draws more and more people into the addiction that is Game of Thrones. The famous quote often associated with Game of Thrones, “winter is coming,” fits right into how a viewer watches Game of Thrones. As soon as you think one thing will happen or everything will be alright, the exact opposite happens. The twists and schemes of Westeros runs throughout the world of Game of Thrones.  

As one becomes more involved in the world of Game of Thrones, one is rewarded with the advancement and enhancement of the episodes as the series continues. The ten episode seasons all contain the beauty that makes up Game of Thrones; however, it is no secret as one increases engagement into the later seasons they are rewarded with spectacular effects generated by the editors of the series. From the evolution of a baby dragon to its grown fire breathing self or epic battle scenes containing a realistic approach, as if one was there experiencing it for oneself. There is no battle greater than the episode 9 of season 6, Battle of the Bastards, which incorporated a realistic battle sequence and triumph in cinematography. The quarrel between houses is just the beginning.

The cast of Game of Thrones is honored with the six time Emmy Award winning actor, winning the award twice in 2011 and 2015, Peter Dinklage, who plays the fan favorite dwarf. The Golden Globe winner helps make the series a triumph for always being a character to root for. His  triumphant acting entices for an epic display of medieval drama.

The epic special effects brings in the awe factor when three fully grown fire breathing dragons accompany their mother, Daenerys Targaryen (Emilia Clark), to retake her home land.  The visual effects team of Game of Thrones brings television a visual masterpiece. The use of sound technology feels as if one was to go beyond the living room and enter through the T.V. screen and be right there in the action.

Game of Thrones is, without a doubt, the most successful HBO series to hit the T.V. screen. The emotional drive created by such a masterpiece makes it unforgettable, even while making audiences wait close to a year to see what happens next.  HBO continues to create the final season of Game of Thrones, yet this is not the end of the story. Rumors have been heard about creating an expansion series into the history of the world before Game of Thrones. There is no better time to get caught up in the series. Season eight is expected to premier in 2019. Get caught up in the world’s number one television series.  

1 Comment

One Response to “Game of Thrones: Get in or Get out”

1. Ms. Devers on April 9th, 2018 2:52 pm

Great show!

Game of Thrones: Get in or Get out