The Power of Instagram

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Power of Instagram

Asya Jones, Staff Writer

Instagram… a thing of the past or just the beginning?

Instagram is seen as many things: a place to share moments with friends and family, a place where comedians and musicians entertain, where beauty creators add content; sometimes it is a way for influencers to reach supporters and now it is also a way to make money.

For the past 7 years, Instagram has become one of the most popular social media apps along with Facebook,Twitter, and Snapchat.

Being able to take and post photos has been taken and given new twist.  For example, users can now post more than one photo at a time; they can put in a different number of photos and videos and viewers can just swipe through the selection. There are also the relatively new “Insta-stories,” where users can post snippets and videos of their everyday lives along with photos that disappear within 24 hours. Additionally, Instagram has direct messaging, which allows people to contact followers and friends.

People have also taken Instagram and found ways to make money. Companies are advertising, but in addition, they are looking for users who have thousands of supporters in order to hire them as promoters. This brings more money and exposure to the company, while also providing the promoters with an income.

The most infamous companies that are plastered all over instagram are Flat Tummy Tea and Sugar Bear Hair. Celebrities and influencers such as: Kylie Jenner, Jasmine Brown, Joyjah, Chrissy Teigen, Sommer Ray and many more promote these companies and others.

With that said, being an “Instagram model” is not often a wholesome line of work. When people think of these women, well, let’s just say they are not the type of woman one might ‘bring home to mom.’

Some are notoriously known for advertising swimwear, exercise clothing, and even workout videos that show off bodies for all to envy; almost all of their bodies actually, leaving very little to the imagination. Then again, in the words of popular singer, Zara Larsson, “Make that money, girl,” which seems to be the Insta mantra these days.

While Instagram can be a great platform, apps like Twitter and Snapchat are becoming more popular because people are realizing all these apps can do some of the same things, but they also have some distinct features that set then apart from the others.

Snapchat is known for its filters, stories and disappearing messages. Instagram was under a lot of backlash for stealing these aspects and incorporating it into their app.

Twitter is known for giving users 140 characters to express their views, and has recently updated it to 280 . Instagram has not been able to duplicate concepts from this app, which is why a lot of people migrate towards Twitter (and of course, the current President has given Twitter a lot of free press, and we all know that old saying: There is no bad press)

Twitter also gives users a lot of information on pop culture as well as world news and politics.

Instagram is not the place people look to for this information anymore. Some current mentality is that Instagram does less than the other apps and takes up more storage, a double no-no in the social media world.

With all this competition, you may here the cool kids saying, I don’t get on Instagram anymore,  I deleted the app, or Snapchat is better.

It makes one wonder about the future of Instagram. Will it become a place that only adults use, or family members utilize to keep up with one another?. Will it become a place where we only talk to our relatives? Will Instagram become the new Facebook?

And then, what might happen to Facebook?!