Acrimony: a synonym for angry black woman?

Asya Jones, Staff Writer

Acrimony: Definition: bitterness or ill feeling.

The new Tyler Perry Production, fittingly called Acrimony,  is the perfect encapsulation of the word.

This Rated R thriller is a good way to learn what not to do.  It has an odd twist, to say the least, but one cannot help but be intrigued from beginning to end. It may be a thriller, but there are some comedic scenes that appear to be directed towards a certain audience.

Stars such as Taraji P. Henson, Lyriq Bent, Ajiona Alexus, Bresha Webb and many more, keep viewers wanting to jump in the screen and scream at the characters and tell them what to do.

The film touches on a variety of topics, such as college, finance struggles, creativity, marriage, infidelity, and many more that everyday people go through.

Tyler Perry, as filmmaker, director, and writer,  is known for having his female leads portrayed as strong African American women who are trying to make it through all kinds of real-life situations. In this movie, he took that same approach but added a unforgettable spin on it.

In this film, Taraji P. Henson portrayed a everyday woman, who later became enraged when she realized she was betrayed by her husband.

Tyler Perry says he does not like the cliche of an angry black woman; however, main character, Melinda Gayle, is the definition of this stereotype when her situations go wrong. She points out  that she knows she has an intense temper, yet cannot seem to contain herself.

(Spoiler coming)

Among the many crazy things Melinda Gayle does, the craziest has to be taking her jeep and running it into her boyfriend’s trailer.  No matter what Melinda had gone through, she always forgave, until now. After her husband wronged her so many times, she would always take him back. Her character whines,, “It was something about the way he said I’m sorry.”  Until the very last time; which, is when she drew the line.

This is the point where Melinda becomes the film’s full fledged comedic killer. Told in flashback from her therapist’s office, Melinda recounts all of the murders she has committed, while remaining convinced all of her actions are justified. The audience; however, is able to see the truth about the events during the flashback scenes. The movie starts and almost ends in the office, with the exception of the conclusion of what happens to our fair murdering maiden, but you will need to see the film yourself for that spoiler!

The movie is very intriguing and may leave you asking, “Have I ever had a crazy ex moment?” or “Has my anger ever gotten the best of me?”

In all honesty, this movie is nothing like what I expected but it was great. If you want something that will make you laugh a little, think a little, or something you can relate to or go see with the girls, this is the movie for you!