Every play, Every Day : MVHS Varsity Boys Soccer

MVHS Varsity Boys Soccer

Senior+%2310+Gerson+Amaya+
Senior #10 Gerson Amaya

Senior #10 Gerson Amaya

Senior #10 Gerson Amaya

Brandon Noriega, Writer

On March 12 Mount Vernon High School Boys Soccer played against Falls Church High School. After a tough game the Majors came up short and ended up with a 3-1 loss.

After trailing 1-0 at the half, Gerson Amaya helped the Majors tie it up with an assist to Kwaku in the second half. After a hard fought game, the Majors conceded two more goals, resulting in the 3-1 defeat.

Next, the MVHS boys came out motivated to make up for their 3-1 loss to Falls Church by going after the Edison Eagles on March 16. The Mount Vernon boys soccer team destroyed Edison with a shut out of 3-0.

It seemed to be an easy game dominated by Mount Vernon. Major credit goes to Mauricio Moreno for putting 3 in the back of the net!

After the Edison game the boys got a break from playing for a week because of spring break. After break, they had a game first day back on April 3, against Hayfield.

It was a good game favoring the Majors. Mount Vernon vs Hayfield was the most interesting game of the season so far. Mount Vernon was awarded a penalty, and Moreno was the one who stepped up at first to take the penalty shot. Moreno shot, but it was saved by the Hayfield keeper. To everyone’s surprise, the ref regave the penalty because Hayfield’s goalkeeper stepped off the line too early. For the second attempt, Gerson Amaya stepped up and put his penalty in the net, giving the Majors a 1-0 lead.

Late in the second half, Ian La’Vallee scored a screamer on the Hayfield goalkeeper from 33 yards out, sealing the victory for the Mount Vernon boys!

The day after Hayfield, on April 4th the MVHS boys had a game against Jeb Stuart. Tired and fatigued, the Majors had to show out for the home game against Jeb. Unfortunately, the boys came up short, suffering 2 goals throughout the game.

The most exciting game for Mount Vernon was yet to come. On Tuesday April 10th, Mount Vernon faced off against their rivals West Potomac for the first time this season.

This game is usually the most anticipated game of the year, not just for soccer but for every Mount Vernon sport in general. Considering the West Potomac game was away, it had a pretty good showing from the Mount Vernon supporters.

At full time the result was 0-0, but there was still overtime to play. At the end of overtime it ended as a draw and resulted in West Potomac keeping the cup because they were the previous holders. Although the game ended 0-0, it was not a boring game. Some key players were Gerson Amaya and Ian La’valle. Amaya was dominating the mid-field, sending key through balls to his attackers, while Lavalle was taking ankles on the wing.

Hoping to come out with a victory to improve their record, the Majors played against Lee on April 12, 2018. Lee game was a heartbreaking defeat with the majors suffering a 3-4 loss.

Senior Ruben Villalobos, discussing what MVHS could do to improve, stated, “Overall we are doing good but I think we need to play with high intensity the whole game rather than just the beginning.”

When talking about the team’s strengths and weaknesses, senior Gerson Amaya said,” Our strength is that we are all friends and we fight for each other on the field, but we need to work on communicating more and our off the ball movement.”