From the Principal’s Desk

Dr. Anthony Terrell, Principal, MVHS

Dear MVHS Community,

Despite the fall weather, spring is in full swing here at Mount Vernon. It is hard to believe the fourth and final quarter of this academic year is well underway. Students received their 3rd Quarter report cards today. Congratulations to all 391 Major scholars who made the Honor Roll.  You are positive proof academic excellence is alive and well at MVHS.

The Majors have been busy in classrooms and beyond. In recent weeks, over 500 juniors demonstrated their writing skills on the Virginia Standards of Learning (SOL) English Writing Exam. Sports teams have been representing the maroon and gray in contests at home and across the district. Our performing artists have participated in annual district assessments, in which MVHS earned superior ratings. We have placed in regional J.R.O.T.C. Drill and Winter Guard Competitions, performed in the MV Pyramid Band and Orchestra concerts, exhibited original art and musical compositions in the MVHS Art Show and the Expressive Arts Showcase, and hosted an enlightening International Night. Our thespians have been busy rehearsing for their spring musical, Bye Bye Birdie, which opens this Thursday. I could go on, but hopefully you get the point. Our students are incredible. They continually impress and inspire those around them with their energy and the level of dedication they bring to everything they do.

Upcoming SOL, IB, and AP Exams are also a rite of spring at Mount Vernon. These assessments have special significance to our students, as passing them fulfills graduation and other special diploma requirements. Again this year, I am confident our students are prepared to meet the challenge of each exam they face. Our entire faculty has been working diligently this year to infuse each course with maximum opportunities for students to gain the knowledge and to exercise the skills needed to attain mastery. We further anticipate our school-wide focus on literacy will result in solid scores across the curriculum, and a noticeable improvement in our students’ confidence in their ability to think critically, read deeply, write clearly, and to discuss a range of topics intelligently.

In addition to being excellent students, many of our students are also athletes. Of those, an impressive number compete in sports year-round. Our fall teams, including Field Hockey (regional semi-finals), began our winning ways earlier this year. In winter, we saw the same intensity and never-die spirit in: Boys Basketball (regionals); Girls Basketball (regionals); Wrestling (11 regional qualifiers); Swim and Dive (19 regional qualifiers, 3 state divers, State Champion); Indoor Track (10 regional qualifiers); and Gymnastics (regional qualifier). The Debate, Forensics, VHSL Scholastic, and Dance teams also made us proud with their performances last season.

In similar fashion, our spring athletes are currently having a terrific season of games, matches, meets, and regattas. Their dedication to excellence is strong and, as always, they bring a winning attitude and impeccable sportsmanship to every contest. We look forward to saluting them at the close of their season in a few weeks. Come out to catch our teams in action soon. Go Majors!

Winning is what we do. I am proud to announce that Mount Vernon students continue to collect accolades for their excellent work across the region. Fourteen of our scientists placed at the Regional Science Fair, with one advancing to states; two of our entrepreneurs competed in the state DECA competition, where both received medals; nine of our artists received awards for their submissions to the 2018 Regional Scholastic Art Awards. This is just a sample of what our students have accomplished recently. Congratulations to all of our award winners. We are tremendously proud of you.

Where do we go from here? Everywhere! Members of the Class of 2018 have received college acceptance letters from places far and near. The list is long and impressive, but here are a few of the places our Majors are headed: Alabama, Allen, American, Barton, Brown, CNU, Coastal Carolina, Fayetteville State, Fairmont, Glenville, GMU, Grambling, GWU, Hampton, Howard, JMU, Liberty, Montana, NVCC, NSU, Radford, The Citadel, U of Glasgow (Scotland), U of Pittsburg, Salem, UVA, VA Tech, VCU, VMI, VSU, West Point, and William & Mary. In addition, many students have already enlisted in one of the five branches of the U. S. military. Others will build on the technical certificates they have earned through FCPS Academies over the past two years. This is an exciting time for our seniors. We are committed to ensuring each of them has a solid post-graduation plan. The future is bright.

Thank you for your continued support. Prom, Senior Week, and graduation are just around the corner. Here we go!

Sincerely,

Anthony S. Terrell, Ph.D.