Sickness in Syria

The Damascus sky lights up missile fire as the U.S. launches an attack on Syria. Saturday, April 14, 2018.

AP

Mahnoor Sohail, Staff Writer

After his father’s death, Bashar-Al-Assad took over Syria and has been its President since July, 2000.

President Bashar- Al- Assad ruled with success until 2011, when Syrian citizens grew restless and dissatisfied under the Assad regime. Since then, they have been at war with the government and about 400,000 people have been killed.   

The war is being fought primarily between the Ba’athist Syrian Arab Republic led by President Bashar al-Assad, along with its allies, and various forces opposing the government.

The protests leading up to the war began on  March 15, 2011, when dissenters marched in the capital of Damascus, demanding democratic reforms and the release of political prisoners. The protest was triggered by the arrest of a boy and his friends by the government for writing in graffiti, “The people want the fall of the government” in the city of Daraa.

On March 24, 2011, in response to the protests, the Syrian government planned to lift the ban, which prevented the licensing of new political parties. A month later, President Assad did what he promised t and reversed the emergency law.

The United States imposed sanctions against Assad and six other officials to deprive the regime of the resources it needed to continue violence against civilians and to pressure the Syrian regime to allow for a democratic transition, as the Syrian people demanded.

When Syria did not respond, the US then froze Syria’s assets, and there was a European Union ban on the import of oil, at which point other surrounding countries began to sanction and cut off resources.

Recently, Syria has been bombing its own people,  killing innocent children and ripping apart families. As of February 2018, there are more than 5.5 million that have fled the country and 6.1 million have been  displaced internally.

On the morning of 7 April 2017, the United States launched 59 Tomahawk cruise missiles from the Mediterranean Sea into Syria, aimed at Shayrat Airbase controlled by the Syrian government.

In April 2018, videos of men giving children illegal drugs, were released on social media. Upon questioning, the Syrian Government denied the claims. Comments on the videos state that Syria has crossed the line with killing their citizens.

President Trump immediately held a conference regarding Syria and these attacks. On April 11th, he stated he would release a decision on what action to take within 48 hours. President Trump’s decision is difficult to make due to the fact that Russia and Iran are supporting Syria, and if the U.S. takes action, Russia will not be pleased.

On April 13th, 2018, President Trump decided to strike Syria with the help of France and Great Britain. At 5am, Syrians woke up to missiles landing on U.S. targets. The U.S. did not want to hurt the civilians. President Trump wanted to launch these precise missiles onto where these chemical attacks were taking place.

Many other countries along with France, Great Britain, and Canada have expressed their agreement regarding the strikes.

“A perfectly executed strike last night,” Trump tweeted Saturday April 14th. “Thank you to France and the United Kingdom for their wisdom and the power of their fine Military. Could not have had a better result. Mission Accomplished!”