MAJOR Victories on Senior Night for Soccer

Brandon Noriega, Writer

On Tuesday, May 1, Mount Vernon Boys Soccer took on West Potomac for Senior Night. This was the most exciting game of their season by far. There were tons of people in the stands supporting and cheering both the Mount Vernon Boys Soccer teams, both Junior Varsity and Varsity. JV did a good job to get the crowd psyched up before the big senior night event. The crowd was screaming and yelling when the JV Majors scored a LATE goal with only 10 seconds left, winning the game 2-1. This last minute win sent the crowd reeling and added to the fervor the Varsity team was already feeling.

When talking to some of the senior varsity players the day previous, they were really determined and excited to play West Potomac for their Senior Night.  

“I feel excited and pumped” said Senior Ruben Villalobos.

Senior and Varsity Captain, Alexander Denson, said “I feel a bit nervous; not going to lie, but I like the pressure and it excites me. I’m just trying to focus on playing our game and making sure we don’t let our emotions get the best of us.”

Both were asked if having parents and family coming out to watch the big game would impact how they play. Denson replied with “ No, not really. When I play, I mute everything coming from the stands, so I don’t hear anything.”  Villalobos agreed, saying, “No, I just hope to make them proud.”

The Mount Vernon vs West Potomac game started with everyone honoring the seniors on the team. They had the JV boys and the underclassmen on Varsity form a walkway for the Varsity seniors to walk through. When they reached the end of the walkway, the seniors were then greeted by their escorts, which is usually parents or other loved ones. The Seniors honored included Edgar Admako, Gerson Amaya, Kwaku Boamah, Captain Alexander Denson, Joel Duarte, Paolo Fernandez, Ian Lavalle, Captain Victor Reyes, Ruben Villalobos, and Joshua Von Fahnestock.

After the small ceremony, the starting line up of both teams went up to stand with the referees for the Pledge of Allegiance. Then is was kick off time, which began the start off the Varsity Boys Mount Vernon vs West Potomac game.

Seniors with their families, friends, and coaches on senior night

Right off the bat Mount Vernon was already dominating the game, with senior midfielder and Captain, Alexander Denson, shining in the midfield. He was stopping West Potomacs plays and creating some for Mount Vernon.

Three forwards helping tremendously were seniors, Ian Lavalle and Joel Duarte, as well as junior, Jorge Moreno. Lavalle was lighting the top half of the field up with his skills, and he also had an amazing goal, cutting in then out and beating the keeper to the left side of the goal. Lavalle was also contributing on defense by dropping back and helping defend the left side.

Duarte was also helping out big time with key passes and runs towards the goal, and also putting on the pressure on defense, causing West Potomac to make crucial mistakes.

Moreno also had a stellar performance, outrunning opponents, and using his off-the-ball movement to gain possession, Moreno was amazing at using his body to keep the ball and make good runs. Senior defender,

Ruben Villalobos, is another player worth mentioning. Villalobos’s speed and strength helped tremendously in getting possession back for his team. Villalobos was also good at not losing possession in the back, making good passes to his midfielders and his forwards.

Last, but certainly not least, was senior goalkeeper and Co-Captain, Victor Reyes. Reyes had some amazing saves requiring extreme athleticism. He also had quite a few reaction saves; Reyes never lets his team down when he is in between the goal.

Mount Vernon had an amazing game against West Potomac on senior night, dominating the throughout and bringing back a 2-0 win at home.

Coming out with that win meant that Mount Vernon got first place in district.

When asked how he felt about being first in the district after beating West Potomac 2-0, Villalobos said, “It feels really good to be first and to finally bring the eagle back home.” The “eagle” Villalobos is referring to is a trophy the winner of the Mount Vernon vs West Potomac game gets to take home until the next game, unless the previous winner wins the game again; then they get to keep it.

Denson added, “It does feel good to be first in the district, but honestly it doesn’t mean anything. Every game is different and we need to play every game with everything we got in order to stay in first.”

Senior Joel Duarte with the Eagle Cup after beating West Potomac 2-0

1 Comment

One Response to “MAJOR Victories on Senior Night for Soccer”

1. bazyl on May 20th, 2018 3:45 am

Thanks so much for the post.Really thank you! Great.

• MAJOR Victories on Senior Night for Soccer

Sports Center

Every play, Every Day : MVHS Varsity Boys Soccer

• Sports Center

Run, Run as Fast as You Can

Sports Center

MVHS Boys Soccer off to a good start?

Sports Center

Who Owns the Highway

Sports Center

The Perfect Homecoming

• Sports Center

Girls Volleyball Senior Night

• Sports Center

Girls Volleyball Senior NIght

Sports Center

Fight of the year Controversy

Sports Center

The Upset

Sports Center

This Is No Football Fantasy