Mrs.Harris Wins the October Vote for Teacher of the Month

Rania Jones, Editor

In early October, votes were taken and calculated on who were the student’s favorite teacher this month, Mrs.Harris was voted the most favored.

“I feel loved, appreciated, and honored to have been nominated and chosen,” She expressed. “I didn’t even know I was considered, so it was a wonderful surprise.”

Mrs.Harris is an English teacher who teaches 9th grade students, she is also a sponsor of the yearbook class. She has been teaching for 7 years.

When she was 4, she used to have a chalkboard where she would play “school” with anyone who would want to play.

“I grew up knowing exactly what I wanted to become.”

The salary wasn’t an issue when it came to Mrs.Harris.

“My mom tried to convince me to major in a degree that would bring me more money, but I wasn’t interested in pursuing anything else.”

Mrs.Harris explained how she will always yearn to work as a teacher; teaching is her passion.

“I could have one of those days when I’m feeling down or overwhelmed with expectations and interacting with my students can turn my day around. When I can see that my students are understanding the material, making connections, and applying what they have learned, it makes me feel fulfilled. My students, both past and present, are who make my career worthwhile.”

She expects her students to put forth their best effort.

“That means even when you are struggling, you still try your hardest. I observe all of my students and I always know who is putting forth their best effort.”

According to freshman Areeba Hamid, she explains how Mrs.Harris makes an effort to understand her students.

“If she gives us a lot of work, she will adjust the amount, since she knows we have work from other classes.”

Mrs.Harris understands how challenging it may be to balance out classwork, homework, learning the personalities of different teachers, and participating in extracurricular activities.

I have wondered sometimes how MVHS students can handle it all.”

She continues to support students who advocates for themselves and respectfully comes to her with their frustrations or concerns, She respects that student even more because they weren’t afraid to admit that they are struggling and needed help.

“When I see that a student is overwhelmed, I come up with a solution to alleviate their stress. If it means that we need to do an alternative assignment for the class, I’m willing to allow that.”

Mrs.Harris describes herself as a teacher who is firm, but fair.

“I have clear expectations and high standards. I listen to the jokes and laugh right along with my students, but when it’s time to get down to business I expect you to work just as hard as I am.”

Her favorite aspect of teaching is watching how all of the lesson plans she creates come together and how her students may receive the lesson.

I like having discussions about what we read in class and hearing their perspectives.”

Her least favorite aspect of teaching is anything related to collecting data.

It’s a necessary evil. As teachers, we need to see how our students progress in skills and what skills will need further remediation, but it can be a daunting and tedious to sit with coworkers and talk about the data.”

She wants her students to remember to not feel to be so hard on themselves because they made one simple mistake. She also believes that mistakes are just opportunities to become better than what they once were.

“Mistakes are opportunities to do better and be better. Mistakes don’t lessen your worth. Keep on growing, reflecting, and motivating yourself and remember to never let someone’s opinion of you become the opinion you have of yourself.”

If you would like to vote for who your favorite teacher is for the month of November, please send in your requests through your major time teacher by the 21st, so the journalism staff can count your vote. Every vote matters! Let your teachers know how much you appreciate them!

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Mrs.Harris Wins the October Vote for Teacher of the Month”

1. Debra Harris on November 12th, 2016 1:08 am

All of the qualities you spoke about Mrs. J Harris are correct.
    She is a very bright young lady with high expectations. She is the only child with two wonderful parents ,that love her to the very end.
    I want to congratulate Mrs. Harris for being chosen as the teacher of the month.
    She’s the teacher of the year in my book,with all those excellent qualities stated.
    Jacinta, continue to strive to the highest level.
    You are young, educated, and beautiful.
    God bless

2. Pamela Tynes-Morgan on November 13th, 2016 8:18 am

Congratulations Mrs. Harris!

Your Dad and I are extremely proud of you. What an amazing journey with many more paths to explore, both personally and professionally.

Love you so much

3. Lateefah on November 16th, 2016 10:36 am

Congratulations Ms. Harris! We are lucky to have you at MVHS